Thursday, June 18, 2009

This is definitely worth posting. I drove the car by myself today. I have been practising with my co-driver. Fortunately we are still on speaking terms. Now, wouldn't anyone be confused about which is the kerbside when there's a kerb in the middle of the road on a dual carriageway?? I took Don to work and then went and did the grocery shopping. I only turned on the windscreen wipers once instead of the indicators. Driving on the right hand side of the road has been a big issue for me. My brain has been permanently programmed to left hand driving for many years now. Don reminded me that I did the right hand driving thing while living in the US and Europe, and even drove in snow and ice. But I reminded him that I was much younger then. The roundabouts are scary as it is a bit of a free for all. I have got used to reading other drivers' minds as to when they are going to change lanes, as nobody indicates. I did enjoy shopping at leisure today and not worrying about how I was going to get it in and out of the taxi with all my bags of shopping, after having stood in 450 heat, waiting for a taxi. I can see that the benefits of driving myself will outweigh the fear of driving in the crazy traffic here. Actually, it's not too bad on our side of town, nice wide roads and I can mostly drive in a direct way to where I want to go.
As each week goes by, I feel more comfortable that life will eventually become "normal" here. I bought a new Bernina sewing machine this past week and was told that they have a Quilters Guild group here. So maybe I will join after the summer. There are things out there to do, it just takes time to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment